Submission Example: Dovetail Brewery
Where: Dovetail Brewery, 1800 W Belle Plaine Ave, Chicago, IL. Opened in 2016.
What: Dovetail is a brewery that focuses on beer using traditional European brewing techniques fused with American creativity.
The Dovetail founders have envisioned it as a place to share a beer with friends, pick up some Dovetail swag, or enjoy a flight of their flagship brews. They are dog-friendly and allow you to bring in or order in food as they only serve some bar snacks. They have tours weekly and host special events.
Dovetail is truly a third place, and is my personal Third Place Champion, because it is a place that is welcoming, friendly, comfortable, and filled with people always ready to strike up conversation. It is a place where I reconnect with old friends and make new friends. Dovetail is where I work on projects with people or sometimes sit alone after a long day at work.
1. People connection (how does your third place activate community?)
• It is a stop on the annual Ravenswood Art Walk
• Hosts Octoberfestiversary which brings hundreds up people together
• Mayfestiversary which also brings hundreds of people together
2. Place connection (how does your third place activate the public realm?)
• The Ravenswood Art Walk enhances the public realm by encouraging pedestrian activity throughout the neighborhood
• Octoberfestiversary utilizes a parking lot and the space underneath the CTA tracks for people to gather
• Mayfestiversary utilizes a parking lot and the space underneath the CTA tracks for people to gather
• Food trucks are regularly parked outside which activates Ravenswood Avenue by enticing people to linger outside