Lake Bluff Brewing Company
Where: Lake Bluff Brewing Company, 16 E. Scranton Avenue, Lake Bluff, IL
What: Lake Bluff Brewing Company strives to make the highest quality beer made with local ingredients and we are dedicated to giving our customers the best possible experience. Our motto is Beer. Art. Music.
Lake Bluff Brewing Company is a hub of the community. We are truly Lake Bluff’s Third Place. Located in downtown Lake Bluff just steps away from Lake Michigan, Lake Bluff train station, the Village Green, and the North Shore bike path, in the best neighborhood of loyal customers in the world. We have been told the same inspirational story time and time again, that a visit to Lake Bluff Brewing Company was what convinced families to set down their roots and buy their home in Lake Bluff. The ambience and sense of community at the brewery is undeniable. Whether it is someone walking in from down the street, coming off the train, or taking a break from their bike ride, they know that they will always be greeted with a smile and see many familiar faces already in the brewery. We host five block parties per year, where we shut down the street outside the brewery and the whole town enjoys great beer, food, and a live band. It is the perfect community event. People gather on the street talking to neighbors, families have picnics on blankets in the Village Green, and kids of all ages can be seen playing tag, football, and baseball.
1. People connection (how does your third place activate community?)
· Our block parties bring the entire town together, and they have become a staple of the community every year.
· Our multi-award winning barrel-aged Russian imperial stout, Kosmonaut, gets released once per year on the Wednesday before Christmas, and people flock to the brewery lining up around the block.
· We are also a place for local groups to meet and socialize with each other. We regularly host bicycle clubs, running clubs, and even book clubs.
· We are a gathering place to celebrate special events in our community members’ lives. We host birthday parties, weddings, baby showers, graduations, and office gatherings to name a few.
· Our Vinyl Nights allow music lovers to bring in their own vinyl records, which we play on our equipment for the whole brewery to enjoy. It’s a great night where the community comes to share and discuss albums that they love.
· We celebrate local artists by showcasing their art on our walls that gets changed once per quarter. Each artist hosts a premier called Meet-the-Artist Night, which brings the community out to see the new art hanging on the walls.
· Being right off the North Shore bike path and so close to Lake Michigan, we bring so many people together who stop in before, after, or during their group rides.
2. Place connection (how does your third place activate the public realm?)
· We regularly host very popular trivia nights sponsored by the Lake Bluff Library. Teams from the community compete at the brewery over a few beers for bragging rights until the next trivia night.
· We collaborate with the restaurant next door, Maevery Public House, to offer a menu that pairs perfectly with our extensive variety of beers.
· We collaborate with Reprise Coffee (a local coffee roaster) to brew several coffee inspired beers per year.
· We work with Blue Sun Yoga in Lake Bluff to offer Beer & Yoga classes at the brewery. The yoga students congregate after class, making this a great event to meet new people, popular especially with young moms.
· We are brewing a special beer for next year’s Lake Bluff 125th year celebration.
· We are part of the Lake Forest and Lake Bluff Chamber of Commerce where we help put on exciting community events such as Biz and Brews, a networking event, and the Sip and Stroll, a community shopping and tasting event in downtown Lake Bluff.
· We work with a local resident, Beef 4 Hunger president, Greg Barnum to put on a Beef 4 Hunger charity block party. Beef 4 Hunger provides meals for families in need.
· We are the official beer provider for many public events that are not our own. The annual Lake Bluff Car show and Ribfest to name a few.
· We are the official beer sponsor for the Criterium bike race. In conjunction with the bike race, we worked with Lake Bluff Community Church to raise money for the World Bicycle Relief.